Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Gulden Draak

Sadly, American style IPAs have not caught on in the Netherlands (and, I would guess, Europe in general). There are British IPAs, which I loathe, and Belgian IPAs, which (based on my one taste) are much more similar to British IPAs than American IPAs.

On the bright side, I'm pretty close to Belgium, which produces some of the world's best beers. And, as one might expect, they're quite a bit less expensive than in the U.S. I got this 11.2oz Gulden Draak for 1.60 euros; it's listed as $4.69 at BevMo. I also got a 11.2oz Chimay Blue for 1.50 euros; it's listed as $5.59 on BevMo.

So, Gulden Draak (golden dragon in Dutch). It's a 10.5% ABV dark tripple ale. Wikipedia tells me that it was crowned "best beer in the world" by ChefsBest in 1998. I'd believe it. I accidentally served it too cold, and I initially missed out on a lot of the flavor. It really opened up once it warmed up, though. I caught some hints of apple brandy. Wikipedia tells me that it hints of sour cherries. I'll trust them.




3 comments:

  1. Josh, God bless you, I know you were raised better than this. Your dad and I have three rules of beer:

    1. It must be very, very cold.
    2. It must have lots of bubbles.
    3. You must be able to see through it.

    The Golden Dragon piss fails on all counts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, did you survive Germany on Beck's and Warsteiner alone? It would be such a shame to miss out on all those dunkels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to go try Gulden Draak, they apparently sell it at AJ's too.

    This place in downtown Phoenix, Carly's, has a belgian beer named Westmalle Dubbel which I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete