Monday, February 25, 2013

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai is the second largest city in Thailand, but it’s only one eighth the size of Bangkok. It was billed as a more cosmopolitan, international city than Bangkok, and a highlight of many tourists’ trips to Thailand.


View from the patio of my guesthouse

The Western gate surrounding the old town




It lived up to the billing in some ways, and it disappointed a bit in others. Like other Thai cities, it was not designed for walking or biking. On many of the roads, only a few feet separated the edge of the pavement from the adjacent buildings, and the cars and trucks that whizzed by were sometimes inches from my body. The dogs that were listless and semi-nomadic in other cities were well-fed, territorial, and aggressive here, and they often charged, barked, and snarled if you got too close to their house. The locals recognize all this, I suppose, since they almost exclusively rely on driving or hitching rides on the taxi/trucks that pass through the town. This, along with the mountainous surrounding terrain, does not do great things to the air quality.





Although Chiang Mai was not quite the Portland of Thailand I had hoped for, it was wonderful in many ways. Beautiful temples were scattered around the old city center. These temples were not like the ornate monuments in Bangkok. They felt more “in use” to me – less there as monuments, and more there for worship.








The liked the vibe of the travelers better than that in Bangkok or Koh Samui. Rather than partying hard, as in Bangkok, or simply taking a European beach vacation, as in Koh Samui, the tourists seemed to be more oriented toward eating Thai food, taking day trips outside the city, taking Thai cooking classes, and exploring temples and markets.


Learning about rice in cooking class



Tip, who made excellent smoothies

Chiang Mai did offer a lot of options for a traveler. I took an all-day Thai cooking class, where I learned how to make green curry, hot basil stir fry, coconut soup, spring rolls, and mango sticky rice by hand. I got four massages and drank a fresh smoothie every day. I went to a night market and drank local fruit wines and ate street foods with the locals. Pauline, a French girl I met in Sukhothai, and I went to a temple on a mountain 15 miles outside of the city, and we walked around the immense Chiang Mai zoo after.

Pauline and me





And, as all good things do, it came to an end after five days. The three weeks of living out of a large backpack, experiencing warm and sunny weather, eating at restaurants daily for under five euros, and spending time mostly with my thoughts and my books (though occasionally with fellow travelers) ended. I flew from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, and then I had an eight hour wait in the airport before my fourteen hour flight home. And then, like magic, I was back in Amsterdam, where snow and ice blanketed the ground and clouds obscured the sky. And, hence, back to reality.

Worry not, though; spring is just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment