Wednesday, February 1, 2012

San Diego

San Diego greeted me with the best weather I could imagine: highs in the low 70's, lows in the low 50's, and nary a cloud in the sky.

I was struck by how the city seemed to me compared to how I remember it after several visits during my childhood. I guess that I never spent much time in the downtown area - or at least don't remember doing so - because the Gaslamp Quarter seemed completely new to me. In all, both walking around the convention center downtown and driving around Balboa Park and the surrounding areas, I was amazed at how nice of a city San Diego is. I usually think of Amsterdam as the pinnacle of city living (or, at least, my pinnnacle), but the benefits of San Diego weather might make it a tight race.

Giant statue outside the U.S.S. Midway
Side of the U.S.S. Midway
Downtown buildings from my hotel room


I was extremely fortunate to spend time with my graduate school friend and colleague Ilanit, who lives in San Diego with her husband Todd. She drove me to the zoo and gave me an entrance pass (no small feat considering entry is $42):





It's incredible to see the intelligence behind a monkey's eyes.

These guys are doing their best lawn ornament impression.

Ilanit and Todd also facilitated a visit to one of my (admittedly many) beer Meccas: the Stone Brewery. I did my usual for a brewery visit: food at the restaurant; a tour of the brewery; some samples in the tasting room; and a brewery t-shirt. This time I also managed to buy a six pack of Ruination IPA and bring it back to Amsterdam with me. The six pack cost $15 in the U.S. - it's the equivalent of liquid gold here in Amsterdam.




No comments:

Post a Comment