Saturday, July 9, 2011

Acclimation

This feels like the first relaxing, lazy Saturday I’ve had since mid-April. I’ve found a coffee shop (well, what is a coffee shop in the U.S.; “coffee shop” refers to something else in Amsterdam) with bagels, tea, and Wi-Fi only two minutes by foot from my apartment. I’m working on journal reviews like I would probably be doing in Albuquerque at this time. It’s even drizzly – but not pouring – giving the day a pleasant, relaxed feel.

Bagels and Beans, a local chain

I’ve also found a bar close to my apartment that has about 20 beers on tap, only two of which (Pilsner Urquell and Chimay White) I’ve heard of before. I took a book there on Wednesday evening and read while drinking the bartender’s recommendation, which turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable Tripel Karmeliet (side note: all the bars I’ve been to in Amsterdam serve beers in a glass labeled with the beer).


Along with getting a SIM card – and a data plan and phone number –starting some data collection at the university, and beginning treatment on my neck/back after the bike crash, it feels like the most difficult parts of moving might be in the past. We’ll see if it stays that way over the next few weeks.

1 comment: